Friday, January 21, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

I made Beef Stroganoff tonight...it's one of those recipes I've been working on for a few years. I think I've finally perfected it!

Beef Stroganoff

1.5 - 2lbs top round
Salt & Pepper
5 T butter, divided
4 T flour
1 carton beef broth
1 T dijon mustard
1 cup sour cream (I use light)
1 T olive oil
1/2 spanish onion, diced
1 lb extra wide egg noodles

Heat a skillet over med-low heat with 1T butter and 1T olive oil. Add onion and let it sweat.

Slice meat into 1/4" by 2" strips. Salt and pepper the meat & add it to the onion. Brown.

In another skillet, melt 4T butter with 4T flour to create a roux. Pour in most of the container of broth (I use about 4/5ths of the container). Whisk well. Let thicken for a minute or two. Once thickened whisk in mustard and sour cream. Thicken 3-5 minutes. If it isn't thick enough - and sometimes it needs it and other times it doesn't - make a slurry with about 1T cornstarch and 2T of the liquid. Salt and pepper.

Add meat/onions to sauce. Heat through and serve over egg noodles.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips