Friday, February 3, 2012

Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream

I love baking.

I love sharing the things I create. And this, my friends is one of those perfect little creations, that would be a crime if I didn't share.

I've spent the last few weeks perfecting this one. And I finished it last night, just in time for Valentines Day. If you love your hubby, you have to make him these cupcakes.

Nutella Cupcakes with Nutella Buttercream Frosting

For the cupcakes:
2.5 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 cups sugar
3/4 cup nutella
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1.5 cups buttermilk
3 eggs

For the buttercream:
1lb confectioners sugar
1/2 cup nutella
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
Red food coloring (optional)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, combine eggs and sugar until pale and thick. Add nutella. Combine well. Add in buttermilk and oil, followed by the dry ingredients. Mix well.

Divide batter into sprayed, paper lined cupcake trays. Bake about 25 - 30 minutes, or until done. Makes approx 18 cupcakes.

While the cupcakes are cooling, combine butter, cream cheese and nutella in a mixer with a paddle attachment. Once well combined, slowly add in sugar. Finally, add in food coloring until desired color is achieved.


*** A few notes***

I'm generally not an ingredient sifter - I prefer to put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk them. However, it really makes a huge difference in this recipe if you sift the dry ingredients together.

Red food coloring - It took approx 1/2 my bottle of coloring to achieve that mauve color for the icing. Normally I'd probably skip this step but because it was for Valentines Day, I wanted to be festive!

Silicone Baking Sheets - I have silicone cupcake sheets. I ended up throwing them away after this recipe. They just don't cook as evenly, so if you have metal pans, I highly suggest using those!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips