Monday, April 23, 2012

Mom's Chicken and Rice

This is my mommas recipe for Chicken and Rice. Growing up this was my second favorite thing ever (second only to her Pepper Steak) and it was my brother's very favorite dish. Needless to say, she made is a LOT!

This is different than any other chicken and rice I've ever had or even read a recipe for, and to me, it's simply the best! You can serve it over wild rice if you prefer, but mom always served it on white rice, so that's what I do!


Chicken & Rice

Source: Jenna's Journey Blog


1 cup white rice

4 chicken breasts

1T flour

1/2 t paprika

1/4 garlic salt

1T oil

1 10.3/4 ounce chicken broth - small can

1T cornstarch

2T soy sauce

1T ketchup

1T wine vinegar (you can use either, but I usually use red)

1t sugar

1/4 cup water

package of pea pods


Cook rice according to directions.


Cut chicken into half inch strips. Mix flour, paprika, garlic salt together. Add chicken and toss lightly to coat. Note: Coating should be very light!! Stir fry in hot oil until lightly browned. Add broth, cover and simmer for 5 min's.


Combine cornstarch with the next 5 ingredients. Blend well and add to broth. Stir until sauce boils. Add peapods, cover and cook until tender crisp about 2-3 min's.

Serve over rice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips